.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Laura's Thoughts

Monday, May 16, 2005

My Greatest Fear

This is a more personal post than I would normally choose to write, but it's important enough I thought I should that I might hold myself accountable for what I learn.

As I was reading a couple of David's psalms last night, the thought occurred to me that Christ could return right now. This is not a new thought of course, but one of those things I don't think about often enough. But what really struck me this time were my initial feelings about it. I'm ashamed to think that if he were to return right now I would feel a measure of regret and embarrasment over what I've done (and not done) with my life.

And after those feelings, it occurred to me that my greatest fear is not being alone as I've always assumed, but that Christ would return and I would not be ready for Him. I mean, I am ready in the sense that I've accepted Him as Lord of my life, and I know where I'll be when I die, but I know I've wasted so much time and efforts on stuff that really doesn't matter.

We'd been discussing this same topic at a small group I attended last night - how passionate and driven an athlete is in pursuit of their goal, and how we should have that same passion and drive in following after Christ. While it's ok to enjoy life, it's essential to keep an eternal perspective.


I remember the days of old.
I ponder all your great works.
I think about what you have done.
I reach out for you.
I thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain.
Come quickly Lord and answer me,
for my depression deepens.
Don't turn away from me,
or I will die.
Let me hear of your unfailing love to me in the morning,
for I am trusting you.
Show me where to walk,
for I have come to in prayer.
Psalm 143:5-8

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home