.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Laura's Thoughts

Monday, June 20, 2005

Odd News of the Day and Other Stuff

Ok, I'd already posted my allotment of strange/odd/interesting news of the day, but this one's so odd I just can't help it! Officials from a rural town in China racked up a $24,000 bill at a restraunt, and can only afford around $600 a year to pay off their debt to the now bankrupt restraunt. You hafta wonder what the rest of the story might be...

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8285273/?GT1=6657

It's been a fun evening, went to work out with Abigail after work and I'm hoping to be nice and sore tomorrow. I'm afraid I often don't push myself hard enough to really be much good, but it gets so boring just shuffling weights around. Mariya usually joins us, but she skipped tonight and cooked up a delicious Russian meal for us and a coupla other Microsofties. She made tons of food - borscht, vinaigrette, and three or four other dishes I don't know the names of. I don't remember ever eating beets growing up, but they're actually quite tasty. At least, they were after she got done with them.

But now I'm thoroughly exhausted and full, and think I shall head off to read another couple chapters of a Greg Bear book on loan from a coworker. I had never read him before, and so far he reminds me a lot of Asimov. But then again, I've only raed one of his stories so far, so I haven't been able to decide if I like him or not yet.

1 Comments:

At 12:03 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I've only read one piece of Bear's yet, a short story entitled Sisters which reminded me strongly of one of my favorite Asimov stories, Profession.

Both feature a main character who feels inferior and rejected from the society of their "super human" peers, but who in the end triumphs in his/her uniqueness. Asimov and Bear seem to arrive at the same conclusion as to the dangers of losing our creativity and capacity for original thought amidst our technological advances. But then again, perhaps I'm just making sense of Bear's story by comparing it to what I know and like.

So far, I find Asimov much more enjoyable reading as Bear tends to throw in made up vocabulary for every third word. It's easily deciphered by context, but I feel like I need to read it once to figure out what the words mean and a second time to enjoy the story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home